How to Clean a Glass Pipe CorrectlyAugust 2, 2018 7:37 pm Leave your thoughts
Over time and after repeated use, your glass pipe will begin to get clogged with debris and soot, which can make it both unpleasant and difficult to use. Fortunately, there are several methods you can use to clean your pipe, clear the blockages and avoid hampering the flavor of your tobacco.
Here’s a quick overview from our smoke shop in Scottsdale, AZ of several methods you can use.
Using rubbing alcohol
You can use rubbing alcohol to clean out your pipes. Here’s how:
- Remove all loose debris from the pipe by holding it upside down and gently tapping it to free up particles. Using a pipe cleaner, needle, cotton swab or other thin object, remove other bits of resin and debris you can reach that won’t free themselves.
- Fill a re-sealable plastic bag with isopropyl alcohol. Try to avoid purchasing watered-down rubbing alcohol. Instead, opt for 90 percent alcohol, as this will clean the pipe faster. Put the pipe inside, fully submerged.
- Add a tablespoon of salt to the bag, as this will act like an abrasive sponge. Then shake the bag, making sure you work the salt through the pipe. Do this for a couple minutes until the pipe is visibly clean, then let the pipe soak for several hours (or overnight) and repeat again if the pipe is still dirty.
- Rinse the pipe with hot water and discard the alcohol/salt mixture by flushing it down the toilet. Clean out any spots that are left with a pipe cleaner or cotton swabs.
Using boiling water
Here’s how you can use boiling water to clean your glass pipes:
- Remove all loose particles from the pipe, using the same methods as before. Rinse the pipe with warm water. NEVER use cold water, as the transition from cold to boiling could shatter your pipe.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, making sure there is enough water to cover the pipe. Then reduce the water to a simmer and submerge the pipe, letting it soak for 20 to 30 minutes in simmering water. Once this process is complete, remove the pot from the heat, drain the water and inspect the pipe for any leftover residue. NEVER douse the glass in cold water. You might need to repeat this process to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- Use a pipe cleaner or cotton swab to clear out any remaining residue.
While the aforementioned methods are the most commonly used by pipe owners for their cleaning, you can also try one of the following:
- Specialty cleaning solutions specifically designed to clean out resins in glass pipes
- Denture cleaning tablets, which help remove both stains and residue
- Home mixtures of salt and vinegar, baking soda and vinegar or sand and water
- Freezing the pipe to harden the resin, making it easier to dislodge
Cleaning your pipe regularly will help make each individual cleaning sessions proceed that much more easily. For more information, contact our smoke shop in Scottsdale, AZ today.
Categorised in: Glass Pipes, Smoke Shop
This post was written by Writer